In 1986, upon the request of Father M. P. McSourley, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of the Diocese of Galveston agreed to establish a hospital in Beaumont, Texas. Hotel Dieu was constructed on the banks of the Neches River, and opened in 1898 with accommodations for 24 patients. At that time, Beaumont had a population of 9,000. In 1901, the Lucas oil gusher at Spindletop brought thousands of newcomers to Beaumont, creating a dramatic need for more hospital space. Consequently, a second building was erected, adding 36 beds. A final addition to the frame structure in 1907 brought the total bed capacity to 80.
In 1915, the red brick Hotel Dieu, a familiar Beaumont landmark, was dedicated, boasting 175 beds. In 1942, a chapel and convent were added. A School of Nursing building, and the Martin de Porres Annex were constructed in 1949. Hotel Dieu consolidated with St. Elizabeth Hospital in 1970, becoming St. Elizabeth East, until operations ceased there in 1975.
St. Elizabeth Hospital, the present structure, was built in 1962, was constructed to meet Beaumont’s need for more modern facilities. Accredited by The Joint Commission, it is a 431 bed, not-for-profit healthcare facility, fully licensed and certified by other federal, state, and professional agencies and organizations. This project was made possible by the benevolent efforts of citizens, and the generosity of J. H. Phelan Sr. and his wife, who donated their property. Through the years there has been expansion to meet the growing health care needs of the Southeast Texas community.
In 1999, St. Elizabeth Hospital became part of CHRISTUS Health a faith based healthcare system, sponsored jointly by the Congregations of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in Houston and San Antonio, headquartered in Irving, Texas.